Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Blackwater Bar-B-Q (Orlando, FL)



Kyle's Order: Sliced Beef Lunch Sandwich w/ Baked Beans, Fried Okra, & a Sweet Tea. $8.63
Doop's Order: Sliced Beef Lunch Sandwich w/ Baked Beans, Cornbread, and Sweet Tea. ($8.63)

Kyle's Take: This little BBQ joint sits only a few miles from downtown Orlando. There's only one giant room with several picnic-like benches, so don't expect any privacy when chowing down on your BBQ. I'd have to call this more of a lunch place than anything else, because you have the ability to get in, order, and leave quickly if you choose. The atmosphere inside makes it hard to believe you're only a few miles from the city. The sliced beef sandwich came with thickly-sliced beef on 2 pieces of bread. The beef tasted freshly cooked, however the bread was nothing more than 2 slices of wonder bread. I'd suggest maybe toasting it, or perhaps adding some garlic to it. The beans were great. They were served in a generous cup with thick chunks of onion and shredded pork. The fried okra was right off the pan and has a nice crunch to it. There's was only one size cup for sweet tea....BIG, served sweet and unsweetened. 2 types of BBQ sauce adorned the table: original, and spicy. At least thats what they tasted like to me, being that they weren't labeled. The original had a sweet taste to it and never the less, so did the spicy. Which I thought tasted very original. So original that my sandwiched was completely bathed in it. Touche'


Doop's Take: Well, as you can see from the post above, our first choice turned out to be closed down. So Kyle had a backup plan, and what a plan it was! As soon as you walk in the door you see picnic benches and a huge menu to order from. Now their sandwiches aren't measured by large or medium, they determine the size of your meal by weight. I got the 4oz. sliced beef sandwich, you know to save some money. What I got was fresh beef. Also, to help you out, they have the sides menu right in front of you while you tell them your order. I really like this, because I always seem to change my mind at the last minute and this is a huge help. We sat down and there were only 2 sauces. Original and Spicy. The original was a little sweet, but it was great. The spicy had a little kick to it, but at the same time it had a sweet taste to it, which you cannot go wrong with. They had two flat screen HDTV's on each side of the restaurant. The tea was alright, not the best, but it got the job done. Now the sides. I got the baked beans. Now, this is the 2nd place to have shredded pork in the beans. It's slowly growing on me, but at the same time, I'm not a huge fan of it. Anyways, I don't know if it was me, but the beans were really good. It could be the fact that I drenched my beans in BBQ sauce, as i do on a regular occasion. All in all, this was a great place, it gave Louis's a run for its money!


Kyle's Beef: Other than the fact that they were playing a soap opera on one of the TV's, there aren't too many. Just maybe throw your buns in the toaster.
Doop's Beef: This is their cornbread; it was also hard as a rock


Kyle's Rating: 8/10
Doop's Rating: 8/10

No comments: