Thursday, January 31, 2008

Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Que (Orlando, FL)



Kyle's Order: The Big Pig Pork Sandwich basket w/baked beans, coleslaw and sweet tea.
Doop's Order: Pulled Chicken Sandwich basket w/ baked beans, coleslaw, and sweet tea

Kyle's Take: There's 5 Bubbalou's Bodacious Bar-B-Que locations throughout central Fl. We ate at the Alafaya Tr. location near UCF. When you walk through the front door, it appears as though a memorabilia bomb exploded and left the place covered in random BBQ and vintage memorabilia. Which I personally like... it gives you something to look at while you're waiting for your food. Your food is ordered at the front counter and then you sit where you'd like. At the table you are greeted with an assortment of BBQ sauces: Mild (which I'm guessing is original), Sweet, Hot, Memphis and Killer. I am a sauce enthusiast so it was nice to have a selection. the Hot sauce became my sauce of choice because the Memphis sauce was a runny and almost tangy sauce, which I'm not sure how it became labled BBQ sauce, and the Killer sauce gave me the hiccups....therefore passing the spicy test. The Big Pig Pork sandwich was a pile of sliced pork on a slightly toasted bun. The pork was extremely tender and juicy and fell apart very easily. It had a very tasty smokiness to it. The beans came in a little bowl with shredded pork and onions. It tasted great but was a small portion. The sweet tea is served warm and then put on ice. I've had better sweet tea, but it does quench none the less.

Doop's Take: The first thing the cuaght my eye was that it had an outside area where you could eat. I thought that was pretty neat, but while waiting for Kyle, i noticed that there were a lot of knick-knacks on the wall and around the restaurant. It felt like i was eating at a Cracker Barrell. As soon as you walk in, there is a huge menu board to order from. I initially was going to get the cornbread, but at the last second I changed my mind and got the coleslaw instead. After we ordered they gave us a stick with out reciept on it. The sweet tea was not very good. It had a hint of unsweeteness to it. It was warm and like Kyle said, it melted the ice. We just missed the lunch rush hour so it was not that busy in there and we were able to get our food in reasonable time. The pulled chicken came on a lightly toasted hoogie roll, which i must say was great!!!!!!! The sandwich stayed together and was not really messy. The side orders were a little too small. I guess they ran out of dished cause mine came in to-go bowls. The coleslaw was a little too manaisey and runny. As for the beans... I was impressed that they put pulled pork in them, instead of whole pork. I'm not a fan of pork in my beans, but this was a good idea, the only problem... it seemed and though i had a lot of pork and not enough beans. Now for the best part... the BBQ sauces! They have 5 varieties: Original, Sweet, Memphis style, Hot, and Killer. I thought the Original and Hot were the best, Killer was a little too hot for me... I knew this cause Kyle started to hickup. The memphis style sauce tasted like hot buffalo wing sauce, it was runny and i did not really like it. Bubbalou's was good, but maybe once is enough for me... at least for right now.

Kyle's Beef: The side portions were in very tiny bowls. Which would be ok....just lower the price a little if that's what you have to do....and the tea melted all my ice....twice. The coleslaw was a little mayonaisy, if that's a word.
Doop's Beef: The beans were runny and had too much pork. The tea was warm. The location is not the best, it does not give off that authentic Bar-B-Que vibe.

Kyle's Rating: 6.5/10... Doop is going to be mad I'm doing .5's now. The .5 is for memorabilia though.
Doop's Rating: 5/10

Map: http://bubbalous.com/Locations.htm

No comments: